Saturday, March 7, 2009

Modern terms meets Medieval Expressions



The above graphic summarizes the text.

Here's some background:
Some people use the term "feminism" to describe aspects of Boccaccio's Decameron. This caused some controversy in class, so I thought some more about it. Hannah Beth wrote about it and this was my response. We still disagree about it, but we both have thought about it in depth and have good points. So here's my side...


I think we're getting hung up on the term feminism. I really don't think it was appropriate to
use a modern concept/term to describe and analyze a medieval text. I completely agree that the
women in The Decameron are not truly empowered. They are not even close. People forget that
there are numerous types of sexism all of which negatively impact gender relationships. What
makes The Decameron so interesting for me is the simple fact that a male is at least examining
societal constructs of gender roles and questioning them. He may well have come to the wrong
conclusion, but the value of his contribution to literature and the evolution of gender relations
parallels that of Machiavelli. Machiavelli's true strengths lie in his critical analysis of the political
system and not his actual advice. Boccaccio may not give women true power, but by changing
the definitions of gender roles in his stories he challenges preconceived notions (whether that
was his aim or not) and reminds the reader that change is possible. For me it was just refreshing
to read some of the female character's responses. People like Ghismunda and Bartolomea may
be overly sexualized but their responses are far more intelligent and assertive than I have found
in most ancient and medieval literature. I am torn because I desperately want these women to be
portrayed as genuinely powerful, confident and competent human beings. Unfortunately when it
comes to medieval and ancient literature I'll take what I can get, so I think Boccaccio's ok.
If you want to see Hannah Beth's original post click here.


1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry Caitilin, I want these women to be genuinely powerful, confident and competent too. However, in the end, the women's deference and sexuality is valued most.

    ReplyDelete